Stand Against Violence (SAV) is a UK registered violence prevention and reduction charity based in the South West. Created following the murder of Lloyd Fouracre in 2005, SAV seeks to prevent further mindless violence through using Lloyd’s tragic story.
Volunteers are key to supporting this aim and this role description will give you an idea of one of the many ways you can get involved.
Thank you for your interest in supporting us.
Why choose this role?
Raising awareness is an important part of reducing youth violence and violence in general.
We spread our message through community events, use of social media and press/media.
By reaching more people and telling them about Lloyd’s story and the work we are doing we hope to prevent acts of violence. Awareness raising volunteers help us by taking our message further into the community.
Volunteering is a great source of experience, skill building/sharing and regular volunteering can make for an impressive reference for your CV. All SAV volunteers are provided with a reference and certificate on request.
What could you be doing?
The key activities of this role are:
- Assisting at organised events and handing out leaflets
- Representing the charity effectively and promoting awareness by wearing SAV branded clothing at SAV events and wristbands.
- Assisting on education days, talks and relevant local meetings
- Contacting key local figures to inform them of the charity and of our aims
- Keeping up to date on all the projects and goings on of the charity
- Keeping SAV website and blog up to date
- Maintaining regular activity on SAVs social networking sites and blogging
- Managing any social networking campaigns
- Search engine management and optimisation in conjunction with external agency
- Monitoring website traffic and social networking impact in conjunction with external agency
What previous experience/skills do you need to have?
No previous volunteering experience is necessary and the flexible nature of this role makes this the perfect opportunity for a first-time volunteer.
This role could be for you if you are:
- Enthusiastic about making a difference to your local community.
- Passionate about preventing and reducing violence.
- Confident talking to the general public.
- Reliable and willing to attend events you have committed to punctually.
- It is desirable if you are able to travel independently.
- A good communicator
- Willing to follow SAV procedures when communicating with local press
- IT literate and experience in social media platforms and press releases would be a significant advantage
How much of your time does this role require?
The amount of time you commit is up to you as this role is fairly flexible but it would be recommended that you dedicate a period of time each day to maintain social media.
How will you be supported and trained?
Both support and training will be provided by either a SAV trustee with PR and marketing experience.
How do you get started?
If you would like to volunteer please complete the application form here